St. Grigor Lusavorich Church
The oldest church in the Tatev complex, St. Grigor Lusavorich (Gregory the Illuminator) is the cornerstone upon which the Tatev legacy was built. It was erected on the site of an ancient temple in 848 by Prince Pilibos of Syunik, the same prince who linked the village of Tatev to the monastery in order to ensure its sustainability. The church collapsed in 1138 due to a major earthquake, and was rebuilt by the renowned Orbelian Dynasty in 1295. Architecturally, it is a pure vaulted-hall structure with restrained decorations and precise volumes. Its rational structure reflects the promise of the subsequent transition from the severity of the early Middle Ages into the era of enlightenment that has characterized Tatev.
St. Grigor Lusavorich is adjacent to the southern wall of St. Poghos-Petros Church and the Grigor Tatevatsi Mausoleum. It is still structurally sound but is suffering from debilitating water damage, particularly along its shared wall with the main cathedral. Its original basalt floor has been kept, though it is cracked and damaged. The definitive conservation and restoration of St. Grigor Lusavorich Church will signify preserving the foundational monument of Tatev and a legacy to be handed down with pride to future generations.
Target completion date: November 2012